Prevention Is Preferable To A Cure
Fitness and prevention are foremost in all of my activities and treatments. Under my expert watch, you will learn individualized strength-building and cardiovascular exercises to achieve optimum health and balance.
Kathleen is not a Doctor and makes no claim as such. The following are only suggestions.
ALWAYS CHECK WITH YOUR MEDICAL DOCTOR BEFORE BEGINNING "ANY"
Follow These Five Golden Rules To Maintain Optimum Health
If at any time you experience any pain, discomfort or shortness of breathe, discontinue following these fitness suggestions, and consult a physician.
Practical Tip #1:
- Neck stretch: Head bent forward, chin to chest. Hold for 3-5 seconds, back to center, tilt head to right shoulder, hold 3-5 seconds, back to center, tilt head back to look at ceiling, hold 3-5 seconds, back to center, tilt head to left shoulder 3-5 count, back to center.
- Shoulder rolls: Roll both shoulders toward the front 3-5 rolls, stop, reverse rolls towards the back, 3-5 rolls.
- Waist twist: Hands on hips, twist to the right side, look behind, hold 3-5 count without pain, back to center, twist to left side, hold 3-5 count, repeat 3-5 times for each side.
- Standing stretch: Hands over head, reach for the stars, relax, repeat 3-5 times.
- Forward bend: Only as far as you can go, may lean buttocks on wall, may hang like a rag doll, or rest hands on knees, or if you can touch floor hold for 3-5 count, back upright repeat 3-5 times.
- With this type of stretching you have just squeezed out toxins from tissues, joints and organs.
Practical Tip #2:
- To avoid shin splints apply BioFreeze on both sides of the shin bone, front and back of legs.
- No warm up stretches. Stretch after your walk. Latest research shows this is better.
- Start out walking slow. This is your warm up.
- No matter how far you walk, just walk. Slow, increase speed, then slow again.
- NOW stretch out those legs, keep the heels down when stretching to avoid plantar fasciitis.
Practical Tip #3:
- Squeeze a rubber ball in each hand 3-5 rounds.
- Push ups off the wall, keep heels down flat on floor for these, not too far from wall, adjust your range, bend arms, lean into wall, straighten arms to go back away from wall. Repeat 3-5 times.
- Light weights, 1 pound is fine. Do reps of 3-5 each side, do curls for wrists, arms, shoulders.
- Bands or old neckties, great for resistance training. Use on feet and around hands to pull legs only to where it is comfortable, then lower back down. This can be done in a chair as well.
- Squats on the wall. Butt and shoulders against wall at all times. Slide down the wall only to your comfort zone, now back up, repeat 3-5 times.
- As you become stronger increase your reps.
Practical Tip #4:
- Begin your morning, sun salutation stretch, reach to the sun, relax, repeat 3-5 times.
- Chest openers. Bring shoulders forward, now shoulders back, repeat 3-5 times.
- Twist from waist to each side then to center repeat 3-5 times.
- Rag Doll Hang. You may do this standing, or you may sit, hang forward and sway side to side, feel this back stretch.
- Now breathe, deep belly breathing to oxygenate your entire system.
- Set your mind set.. I am. Namaste'.
Practical Tip #5:
- Can be done anywhere, office chair, train, car, etc. Background noise becomes a part of your meditation. No worries.
- Walking meditation. Be aware of all that surrounds you on your walk: sights, smells, sounds, clouds, sun, moon, stars. No music in your ears.
- Breathe in with each breath you release more and more stress.
- Just be in the now.